In main/attributes/other.rb I have tested include_attribute('main::default'), where attributes/default.rb will set "default['foo']", then attributes/other.rb try and re-set that "default['foo']" to some other value. In theory, since i did include_attribute('main::default'), then the other.rb file should take precedence here. But as you can see in my gist, it is random.
Initially I thought this related to
CHEF-2903 but I am not sure now, since i am forcing include_attribute and still seeing the anomaly. To be honest, I am shocked this is not causing more wide-spread problems.
I'm testing with chef-solo in a very simple recipe setup just to try and track what was going on.