The NTP cookbook is often used as an example of a simple, cross-platform cookbook. Now that it has comprehensive test coverage, a refactor should be possible while maintaining a high degree of confidence in cookbook functionality.
Goals of refactor (mostly general housekeeping):
- Clean up the README to provide more clarity around the difference between the servers and peers arrays
- Document all attributes in the README
- Clean up the ntp.conf.erb template for readability.
- Ensure that linux nodes will not attempt to run the ntp::windows_client recipe
- Ensure that Windows nodes will not attempt to run the ntp::undo recipe
- Add bats test to ensure ntp.conf contains the correct server data
- Minimize the number of per-platform attribute changes in the default attributes file
- Switch case statement to platform_family in the default attributes file
- Update the attributes_spec test (should we keep it?)